Monday, December 23, 2013

End of the Year Book Survey 2013!

This LOVELY survey is created by The Perpetual Page Turner

1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)

Contemporary YA – Just Like Fate by Cat Patrick/ Suzanne Young, The Sea of tranquility by Katja Millay, The Distance Between Us by Kasie West 
Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic – Endless Knight by Kresley Cole 
Historical Fiction –  Fair Weather by Barbara Gaskell Denvil 
Paranormal — The Wolves of Midwinter by Anne Rice 
Science Fiction — Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout, Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Fantasy — The Iron Fey series (I started and finished the series!) 

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

 Palace of Spies. It looked like an amazing steampunk mystery, but it fell short. 

 3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 

Ummm...Gargoyle Addiction by Livia Olteano. It was an indie New Adult paranormal Romance. It's the first of that genre I read, so I wasn't expecting much, but wow. I was floored by how good and hot it was! I also read the sequel, Dragon Craving and can't recommend it enough! 

 4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?


The Beautiful & the Cursed by Page Morgan ..I just loved it so much and found myself recommending it a lot.


 5. Best series you discovered in 2013? 

I found so many great ones this year! I'll say the most addicting one was The Iron Fey series by Julie Kawaga. 

 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?

Jennifer L. Armentrout! 

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

Delia's Shaodow by Jamie Lee Moyer. It was an adult gothic mystery set in San Fran. It was incredibly good. Made me resolved to read out of my comfort zone more often-- especially gothic ghost mysteries!

 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

Dance of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin! 

 9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

Cinder by Marissa Meyer 

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?

The Wolves of Midwinter by Anne Rice

11. Most memorable character in 2013? 

Hmm that's a toughie. I'm going to say River West from Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea. Gorgeous, bad boy, evil, and hot. Definitely book boyfriend. 

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

I'm going to have to say Bellman & Black by Diane Setterfield. I loved the writing so much. It was beautiful. Flawless, really.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 

I'm gonna have to say The Sea of Tranquility. Was very moving.

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 

Persuasion by Jane Austen! WHY did I wait so long?! It was

beyond amazing and my new favorite of hers. 

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?

Just because you don't want to see something doesn't mean that it will go away. Do you think inhumanity doesn't exist if you pretend not to see it? Or maybe get too drunk to understand? We've forgotten the things that make life worthwhile.” 

-Dance of the Red death by Bethany Griffin

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Longest: The Silent Swan by Lex Keating
Shortest: The Grey Elk by Kevis Hendrickson

 17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

The end of Endless Knight by Kresley Cole!! I literally hunted twitter and my blog feed until I found Jessica @ Step into Fiction to dish it out with! I mean...wow. 

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

Romance – Caymen & Xander from The Distance Between Us by Kasie West 
Familial — The Delos family from the Starcrossed series by Josephine Angelini 

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

The Wolves of Midwinter by Anne Rice. She is my favorite author, after all. 

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:

Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout. After hearing tons of fellow bloggers recommend it, I caved and am SO glad I did! 

21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?

Well, young adult. Specifically, paranormal/fantasy. I did read way more contemporary though than ever before. 2013 was the year I discovered contemporary could be good. I always thought it wasn't for me...

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?

Ooh I'm going to say Aric from Endless Knight by Kresley Cole. Hot hot hot. 

23. Best 2013 debut you read?

Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke. It was SO phenomenal, I can't even.. One of my top favorites of the year. 

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

Daughter of Exile by Isabel Glass. I also read the sequel, the world building was amazing and I loved the imagery. I could picture the entire world so vividly. 

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?

Almost Super by Marion Jenson. It was so fun and hilarious, it had me LOL. :O

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?

Heartbeat by Elizabeth Scott. It's a 2014 release but I read the ARC this month, and cried continually through the book. :c 

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?

The Sea Priestess by Dion Fortune. It's not very well know, but it was a gem. 

author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

8 comments :

  1. Oooh The Iron Fey! I seriously love anything that lady writes, she's magical. Cinder is on my list too; I JUST finished it today and cannot wait to get my hands on Scarlet. Great choices!

    My survey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh! You read cinder! Wasn't it amazing? I can't wait to read Scarlet either :)

      Delete
  2. Love reading these surveys! OK, I really need to read something by Jennifer L. Armentrout soon. And you have me all excited about Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea and I think this book should get an award for best title and cover too! I hope to get to it over Christmas. Hmmmhh so Heartbeat was an emotional one, do you think it's one I'd like? I keep eying it up on Edelweiss but as I've so many new books I'm reluctant to download it for now. If you think it's a me book though, I will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're overwhelmed with books, but seriously you need to read Heartbeat Trish. I AM TELLING YOU lol. :P you'd love it! and I can't wait until we can gush about Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea!

      Delete
  3. Ahh, soo nice to recap the year with this survey, isn't it? I love how you get reminded of all the amazing books we read this year and it is SO inspiring to see all the ones I didn't get to! Oh, and I didn't even realize you loved The Iron Fey series so much! I only read the first book (about a year ago) and you finished all of them in a year? Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I really did get addicted to them this year lol. xP

      Delete
  4. So happy you loved The Sea of Tranquility as much as I did. You mentioned some books I want to look up now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of great books! I've seen The Sea of Tranquillity a lot lately, I really, really want to read that one. I recently read and loved Obsidian, such a fun read and I'm loving the series so far. I can't believe I still haven't read Cinder, I've really got to read that soon; I've heard nothing but good things. Great answers. My End of Year Survey.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!