December 6, 2013

Discussion: Those who read...and those who don't


Discussion Post: 

So lately I've been thinking about the difference between those who read...and those who don't. The reason it's been on my mind is because I recently had a conversation with my boss. He was telling me he's not really a reader. I shrugged, and understood. Then he started asking me about my reading habits, marveling at the fact that I spend a whole day reading! I asked him, "Haven't you ever been so engrossed in a book you had to finish it asap?" He gave me a blank look, and said No. 

Ok, I admit this kinda got to me. I thought about all the times I've spent holed up reading an excellent book. All of those  wonderful days where I got lost in the story, and had so much fun living in the world of fiction. I imagined if I never had any of those experiences.. And
I suddenly felt incredibly sad. I felt bad for him. Later, I thought perhaps he has a hobby in which he has an equal amount of joy? But it's not to joy of having a book. :c 

 I guess I never realized how many people haven't had that experience of devouring a book. In the past I figured that people who weren't avid readers still had favorite books;  so those favorite books gave them an experience of reading nonstop and the thrill of needing to know what happens. Right? Not necessarily. It follows that if this one particular person who isn't a reader, and has never had an experience where they eagerly read a book, there are others (probably many others!) who have also not had those experiences. Even though they probably have fulfilling lives and have another hobby that gives them an equal amount of joy and happiness (football, horses, stamp collecting)..I still can't help but think, they never had that experience with a book. 
And that is what makes me kinda sad for them. 

I can't help but feel like they're missing out. 
That for even someone who isn't an avid reader, they still deserve at least one (one!) fulfilling favorite book experience. Where they stay up all night, and eagerly wait to find out what happens. When they can't stop thinking about the book and the characters. At least once in their life, everyone should have that. Right? 

What do you think? 
Do non avid-readers still have these book experiences?
Or are we-- the avid readers-- the only ones who enjoy books to this extent? 
What do you feel about the people (like my boss) who have never felt compelled to finish a book (even their favorite!)? Do you think these people just haven't found a good enough book to take them to book-fantasy land?

-Share your thoughts in the comments below-



author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

18 comments :

  1. What a tough question! My husband isn't much of a reader and he teases me when I get really into a book and can't put it down. I've asked him the same sorts of questions (has he ever gotten excited over a book) and he says no. He has favorite books, but he doesn't get giddy like I do. In my husband's case he gets excited about music. So maybe its just different strokes for different folks. Its easy to get frustrated and want to share your passion but I don't think some people can get as "into it" as we can, submerged in other characters and worlds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. It boggles the mind a bit though. I guess I always figured that even those who didn't read still had that experience with their favorite book ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm surrounded by people who never read and who look at me blankly when they realise how passionate about it. Like you I feel sorry for them as I think they are missing out! I have lots of other fun and fulfilling hobbies but NONE as satisfying as a great book that keeps me up half the night as I just have to finish it. I think we are the lucky ones to have found such a simple and pleasurable past-time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are too!! ^_^ I definitely feel sorry for them though, they are kinda missing out!

      Delete
  3. Everyone has different interests. I think we avid readers really enjoy books to that extent, but non readers just can't see that. For example I have a friend who is a marathon runner and she runs miles and miles every day. I can't even fathom this. Who in their right mind would want to put themselves through that? Lol, well apparently some people are into that. So I can understand when some people just can't sit still long enough to read a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes. You have a point there. We have to be understanding ..reading isn't for everyone! :)

      Delete
  4. I feel the same. I am actually the only voracious reader in my immediate family. This is the main reason why I love the book blogging world. It feeds my need to share what I am reading. My husband does read but his reading is limited to magazines and newspapers. When I speak to him about the wonderful book I just read, he is so polite to listen as I gush away about this twist or that heartbreak, but I can see him begin to drift. I wish he felt differently but reading just doesn't interest him the way it does me. For me, a day without reading is a sad day indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is! Haha I know what you mean. And it's definitely why I love the book blogging world too. We can gush about the books we read without any read looks haha! :P

      Delete
  5. They are missing out. But I do think some people just don't enjoy reading. But a lot of them just need to find a good book. I don't know anyone in person who reads regularly like I do, just bloggers. so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to imagine that some people don't enjoy reading. I mean, even if you don't enjoy fiction, there are so many other great kinds of books.

    But there are other ways to experience the world and learn new things besides reading, and maybe the non-readers think we are the weird ones!

    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I hate to sound judge mental but I can't help but feel a little sorry for them :$

      Delete
  7. This is a subject that always breaks my heart a little, because I just can't imagine not having a love of at least 1 book. But I know plenty of people (my BF included) who have not had 1 good reading experience. I think they were forced to read a few books they didn't like in school - figured that was the way all reading experiences were and find it to be, as my BF says "an unenjoyable waste of time." I just wish they would try a book that they might love, but so many of them just don't want to.

    On the other hand, I do know people who aren't big readers - maybe they have reading problems (I have a friend with dislexia, for example) - but still have had some good reading experiences. So I think there's both kinds of people out there. I just wish everyone could know the love of a good book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I completely agree.. I feel like perhaps they haven't had that one good reading experience. I always feel like they just haven't met the right book yet ;)

      Delete
  8. Awesome Post Dee! I've thought about it a few times. One friend said to me "You know I've never heard you ever complain that you were bored" I replied "True there are just too many great books waiting to be read!" I do agree and feel sorry for those people who never have that special book moment as you described it. But then again they probably have a hobby and feel the same about us who won't experience their 'moment'. If we were all the same, the world would be boring ;)

    Great post Girl!

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very True Chanzie! It's hard to know but I do think everyone should have a hobby! I just think reading is so fulfilling as far as hobbies go lol xP

      Delete
  9. This is a great discussion, Diamond, and you've inspired me to write a whole post about this topic (it'll go up on Friday)!! I also get a little weirded out and sad when I meet someone who doesn't enjoy reading a good book. But I learned recently that it's actually just not for everyone. We all wish that everyone could experience the utter joy we feel when engaging in one of our favorite activities, but we're all just so different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Kelley. We are very different and that's good. But sometimes I can't help but feel we got the better end of the bargain -- you know? Lol :O
      And I can't wait to read your post Friday!

      Delete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!