December 19, 2013

1 star Review: Everville: The First Pillar by Roy Huff

The First Pillar (Everville, #1)The First Pillar by Roy Huff
Source: ebook provided by author
My rating: 1 of 5 stars :star


A copy of this book was provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review.

This book wasn't really for me. I tried to get into it, I really did. I just felt like, throughout the book, something was missing that I couldn't quite put my finger on. It took me a long time to finish it, and I almost gave up numerous times.

With Fantasy books, the world-building can often be confusing or lacking. Although the details were very good regarding the explanation of the other worlds (Everville and Earth), I felt very confused throughout. I think my confision stemmed from the names. The different names were very strange and easily confusing. For example, the Them live in the Other. A typical sentence that would cause me a great deal of stress is this:

" ..the influence of both Everville and The Other In Between would be felt in the earthly realm. [..] It would enhance or inhibit Them, which would serve to further weaken or strengthen the influence of The Other In Between in the Earthly realm." 

-(loc 1310)

I did like the main character and his friends, but I felt there was something missing there too. I can't put my finger on it. I just didn't fully connect with them, with any of the characters actually. I found myself not caring whether he was successful in saving Everville or not.

Some may like this book or have a different experience than I did, but it wasn't for me. If you're not a huge fan of fantasy, I'd skip this. Even fans of fantasy may be split with this one. I just had a really hard time liking or understanding it.



View all my reviews


author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

4 comments :

  1. I know I wouldn't have picked this one up anyway but that sentence is so confusing! I would have hated this one :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it though? I'm afraid I just couldn't keep up. :|

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh, that is confusing. :( It's a shame you didn't like it though because the cover looks like it's for a really exciting book!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!