Wednesday, September 11, 2013

ARC Review: Water by Natasha Hardy


Source: Netgalley (e-ARC provided by publisher)
My rating: 1 of 5 stars :star

Note: this review is based on the first 30% of the book. I DNF the rest. Due to the fact that it's an e-arc I thought I should explain a bit why I did not finish.

The part with Merrick. When this male character is introduced is immediately when I started to not feel the story, the dynamic changed. the interaction between the MC and Merrick was simply not natural or organic. it Just didnt feel real.

Also, I became way too confused with what universe the book is in. What reality? There are  References to  states and familiar things, but also very unfamiliar things (apartheid in America, slave traders in remote mountain areas, etc). Is this the future? No other indication of the time period except cell phones and television. So it feels like modern day-- but then doesn't. I think Water is having a big identity crisis.

Perhaps because I'm in a bit of a depressed mood. I need a book to completely take me away with the story. I need that brain vacation. Trouble is, if there are confusing parts about something as basic as the setting or the world-- we have problems.

Sorry, Water...you started off so promising. I just couldn't get past your lack of world-building and clarity, and ultimately believability between the characters.



author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

4 comments :

  1. Sorry to hear you are a bit down, hope you feel better soon. x

    I can see why you dnf, sounds ultra-confusing! Details like that bug me too, if I can't understand the setting I spend my time concentrating on that and not the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe so sorry you didn't enjoy this one :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for review, it was excellent and very informative.
    thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!