July 26, 2013

Unearthly Read-a-long: Discussion Post 1

This is my first post for the radical read a long of Unearthly hosted by Laura @ music + books, Rather Be Reading YA http://ratherbereadingya.blogspot.com/2013/07/radical-read-along-unearthly-day-1.html & Downright Dystopia

This is about the first four chapters. May contain spoilers!

 photo 94f29de0-65f0-4f07-8181-60f6969cc9c7_zpsac635cdb.jpg

I almost instantly liked Unearthly. The way it's written is easy to read. It's fun to read about how Clara is part angel and discover what she can do! I was a bit leery in the beginning because so,e times angel books can really be hit or miss for me. I have enjoyed Anne Rice's Angel Time series so I thought I'd give this series a shot; especially because I heard so many great things about it. I'm glad I did. 

There's high school drama and paranormal elements and those two things (in my opinion) are a recipe for a great YA book! ;) I love how each chapter has a title that is creative and intriguing! I don't feel like it's a chore to get through. In fact, it was really hard for me to stop after 4 chapters and write this discussion post. I wanted to keep reading! 

Favorite Quotes:

“I’m struck with the sudden urge to document this moment, so I’ll be able to look back and say, this was the beginning. Part one of Clara’s purpose. My chest swells with emotion at the thought. A new beginning, for us all.”

“You know how sometimes on TV they’ll show you a picture of a celebrity from high school, and that person looks perfectly normal, not really any more attractive than anyone else? And you think, what happened? Why is Jennifer Garner so hot now? I’ll tell you: money happened. Facials, fancy haircuts, designer clothes, and personal trainers happened.”

Excerpt From: Hand, Cynthia. “Unearthly.” ePub Bud (www.epubbud.com), 2011-11-06. iBooks. 
This material may be protected by copyright.



Cover Challenge Hosted by Laura @ Music + Books

I wasn't going to do this because I have ZERO skills with images and I knew it would suck but then I felt bad because there aren't that many of us in the challenge so I wanted to participate. *gulp*

Here's my design for the cover of Unearthly...


author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

6 comments :

  1. :tup: It was hard for me to stop too. I still have 2 more chapters for today's reading and I have a feeling I'm not going to want to top again.

    Jenna @ Rather Be Reading YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right!? I may just stop, write my post, and then keep reading! Lol. :P I won't tell anyone if you do the same!

      Delete
  2. OMG Right?! I love the perfect balance between the fantasy but the classic high school life. I'm glad you're loving it too. :D
    Laura @ Music Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book and do you want to know a secret? I haven't read the final book yet because then it will be over! Soon though! great review:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I know. I hate knowing it'll be over. Glad to hear you'd liked the series a lot, I, liking it too and super glad I am reading it! :O

      Delete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!