July 24, 2013

Dust Off Your Classics: Jane Eyre

This is my second update for the Dust off your Classics challenge. It has been quite a challenge to get through these classics. I did finish reading Jane Eyre; it was my first time reading it and I am happy I pushed myself to read it. I didn't love it, but i did like it! 
I am excited for the next book I'm reading; The Secret Garden. I haven't read it since I was a tween. 


3 of 5 stars :star :star :star

What I liked about Jane Eyre:
  • The beginning when Jane is a little girl was really enjoyable to read. I really felt for her! The way it was written had me feeling like I was a 5 or 6 year old. 
  • I really liked how the relationship between Jane and Mr. Rochestor progressed. It started slowly, turned into a strong friendship, and suffered some ups and downs. It was far from perfect and the nuances were very subtle at times-- making it a very believable romance. 
  • I enjoyed the cadence of the story. It had a rhythm that I liked a lot. It didn't feel too rushed or too slow, and I enjoyed reading it (for the most part). 
                                                      

What I didn't like about Jane Eyre:
  • St. John Rivers really bothered me. I didn't like his attitude with Jane. His countenance was so gloomy I felt for all the girls who had to spend so much time with him. I was really glad Iane turned down his offer for marriage. It was perhaps the most unrimantic offer I've ever heard! :||
  • It kind of bothered me how BIG of a coincidence it was when Jane ran away and ended up at the exact house of her only relations. *shrug* It was too hard to believe, and I just didnt really understand why the story had to go that way. I was happy with the result; but not at the huge leap it made to get there. 
  • Another thing I didn't like was the way the narration shifted. Everything was normal and then all of a sudden I am directly addressed as "reader" It would have been easier to swallow if it would've ended like Jane was writing a novel of her life, so something like that. It was just too weird and awkward. 


Have you read Jane Eyre? Join the discussion! 
What did you think of Jane? 

Reading classics? Join the linky and link your posts ^_^ 

author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

1 comment :

  1. I love how similar our reactions to this book was. I totally agree with co-incidence of finding her only relations but I find most classics are high on these handy connections. It makes them feel a bit melodramatic which is something I don't enjoy.
    My favourite bit was the beginning up until she left school, the book changed tone after that.
    The 'reader' issue annoyed me too!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!