This is my second update for the Dust off your Classics challenge. It has been quite a challenge to get through these classics. I did finish reading Jane Eyre; it was my first time reading it and I am happy I pushed myself to read it. I didn't love it, but i did like it!
I am excited for the next book I'm reading; The Secret Garden. I haven't read it since I was a tween.
3 of 5 stars :star :star :star
What I liked about Jane Eyre:
- The beginning when Jane is a little girl was really enjoyable to read. I really felt for her! The way it was written had me feeling like I was a 5 or 6 year old.
- I really liked how the relationship between Jane and Mr. Rochestor progressed. It started slowly, turned into a strong friendship, and suffered some ups and downs. It was far from perfect and the nuances were very subtle at times-- making it a very believable romance.
- I enjoyed the cadence of the story. It had a rhythm that I liked a lot. It didn't feel too rushed or too slow, and I enjoyed reading it (for the most part).
What I didn't like about Jane Eyre:
- St. John Rivers really bothered me. I didn't like his attitude with Jane. His countenance was so gloomy I felt for all the girls who had to spend so much time with him. I was really glad Iane turned down his offer for marriage. It was perhaps the most unrimantic offer I've ever heard! :||
- It kind of bothered me how BIG of a coincidence it was when Jane ran away and ended up at the exact house of her only relations. *shrug* It was too hard to believe, and I just didnt really understand why the story had to go that way. I was happy with the result; but not at the huge leap it made to get there.
- Another thing I didn't like was the way the narration shifted. Everything was normal and then all of a sudden I am directly addressed as "reader" It would have been easier to swallow if it would've ended like Jane was writing a novel of her life, so something like that. It was just too weird and awkward.
Have you read Jane Eyre? Join the discussion!
What did you think of Jane?
Reading classics? Join the linky and link your posts ^_^