Saturday, April 27, 2013

Dewey's Read a Thon


Introductory Questionnaire 

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
My Answers:
1) I’m in warm SoCal, Los Angeles! 
2) I'm looking forward to all of them! But, Hunted and Lenobia's Vow more.
3) Doritos! And lotsa soda ;) 
4) this is my first 24-hour read a thon! I'm 26, and I love to read...
5) I did just do a mini read a thon last weekend. One tho I'll do differently is less blogging and social media-- more reading! So this will be my only post but I will update at the bottom, and keep adding! 

I'll be posting updates on my twitter @DiamondCronen
And my tumblr http://DeeNazC.tumblr.com 
Here are the stack of books I plan to dig into-- 

And the snacks for right now.. 






Hour 12 Mid-Event Survey




1) How are you doing? Sleepy? Are your eyes tired?
I'm ok, hungry, eating now! I'm not sleepy because I started late (I didn't wake up at 2am to begin).. And then due to some stuff I had to take care of I really couldn't start until an hour ago. :( but I plan to read longer to make up for it. 
2) What have you finished reading?
Nada! :||
3) What is your favorite read so far?
Hunted by P.C. Cast, it's drawing me in like crazy! 
4) What about your favorite snacks?
I'm loving this subway sandwich I got for a late lunch...mmm :p 


5) Have you found any new blogs through the readathon? If so, give them some love!
 :star I'll be posting any updates or challenges here, instead of creating a new post. How are you guys holding up? 


Mini-Challenge
Share A Quote! Hosted by My Life is a Fairytale
 photo image_zpsea3709c2.jpg



So, this challenge is about sharing a quote from the book that you are reading or books that you've read during this read-a-thon. I love quotes, so I would really love hear the one that made a big impression on you. Or that you've found it completely hilarious! Or that you've simply found it beautiful! Doesn't have to be long or anything.

My Quote-- 
Book: Hunted, House of Night #5
Author: P.C. cast
Quote: (a poem on page 67) "Shadows in Shadows
He watches through
Dreams
Wings black as Africa
Body strong as stone
Done Waiting
The Raven's Call."
 

Mini-Challenge - Hour 13

For this challenge, You will need to think of a popular title, twist it into a cookbook theme, then give us a little introduction about the book.

Here is a couple of examples:

The Soy Duck Club- Four pairs of mothers and daughters share their favorite recipes in this unusual cookbook. Here you will find authentic family recipes, fondly remembered by the mothers as their childhood favorites in China. Meanwhile, the American-Chinese daughters add their American twist to classics, using easier-to-find ingredients and utensils, as well as preparation methods more suited to our modern, busy lifestyles.

My Cookbook- ^_^

Girl with a Poached Egg
(Original title: Girl with a Pearl Earring)
This is a guide on how to make poached eggs! It’s not as hard as it looks, and it doesn’t take hours sitting still to achieve. Poached eggs are wonderful, and the guide covers how to make yummy Eggs Benedict and Eggs Over Easy, Over hard, omelettes, etc! After reading this you will amaze your friends at your artistic poached egg-making abilities!



-END OF EVENT MEME-

Which hour was most daunting for you?
The hour that was the most daunting for me was hour 15. For some reason that was when I started to get super tired..not in a sleepy way but brain-tired from so much reading and concentrating. 
Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
I saw one participant read a plethora of graphic novels. This is such a good idea, I wish I had the foresight to think of it and read graphnic novels as well. They're perfect length and the stories are naturally shorter to keep you interested. The amazing graphics help a lot too, espcially when the brain starts to fizzle out.. o_O
Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
I was a little unclear about the starting time. I wasn't sure when I was supposed to start, which got me a bit flustered until I found out it really didn't matter too much...some people even spread the 24 hours over the entire weekend. I would have planned better if I knew that I should start exactly at 2am. (for instance.) Other than that, it was great!!
What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
Well, I'm not sure how other years RATs went, but I loved how each hour there were different mini challenges and hosts. It kept it fresh and I knew I could hop over to Dewey's and do a few challenges when I started to get tired of reading. I had to make sure I kept reading though--I found myself doing challenges and lully-gagging for almost an hour straight! :r
How many books did you read?
I didn't finish any books. I read 4 books throughout the read a thon--but I did read 500+ pages!
What were the names of the books you read?
The Black Shard by Victoria Simcox (almost done with that one)
 DNF-->Hunted by P.C. Cast, The Woman in White by Wilke Collins, The Divided Crown by Isabel Glass
Which book did you enjoy most?
Hunted by P.C. Cast kept me reading the most hours without looking at the clock ;) 
Which did you enjoy least?
 For some reason it was really hard for me to get into The Divided Crown...idk why..
If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
 n/a
How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
VERY LIKELY!!!!!! I would take the same role, but I'd still cheer on the side :d 

I had a GREAT time!! Thank you to everyone! I am definitely going to do this again..many times! It was a learning experience and it was honestly super fun! xD
author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

10 comments :

  1. Hi there! *waves* Thanks for visiting and following me. I'm following you back via GFC and Bloglovin', but I like to also follow via email and it wouldn't let me. You might want to check your feed on your email subscription option.

    Anyway, nice to meet you! I hope you're enjoying the read-a-thon. I've had that series by Cast in my home library for years. I need to get around to reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle! And thanks for the heads up, I recently changed my feed info...so I need to straighten that out!

    I am enjoying the read a thon! I had stopped reading for awhile (the house of night series) and just started again. :) how are you enjoying the read a thon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Btw-- I fixed the feed! But I don't know how to transfer subscribers or if it will do that automatically...I only have a couple so please check!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Penguin copy of The Woman in White! Happy read-a-thon day and keep up the reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks melissa! I love it too. <3 It feels like such a special book..

      Happy read a thon day to you too! Heading over to your blog now to say hi ^_^

      Delete
  5. The Woman in White is fantastic. I hope you get to that one! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristi! It is super long though" ^_^ happy reading to u too!

      Delete
  6. Oh I remember this quote from back while I was reading the house of the night serie! :) Beautiful quote to share!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!