September 9, 2016

Review from the Archive: The Witch of Painted Sorrows by MJ Rose

This review has been reposted in lieu of the upcoming release of the sequel, The Secret Language of Stones (Daughters of La Lune 2) by MJ Rose. I read this book July 7th, 2015. I thought it was funny to go back and read my review since now I am reading the sequel… lol :D My goodreads status updates are funny too … 

Apparently I read this in 2 days! Much faster than I am currently reading the sequel, oops. :| Have any of you read this one? Do you like MJ Rose? 

I know I don’t read as much adult historical fiction as I would like, but I love LOVE when adult (or YA) historical fiction adds fantasy elements (I mean c’mon! that shit is gold :star) lol. 


Diamond’s Review Repost
 July 2015

The Witch of Painted Sorrows by M.J. Rose
My rating: 3 of 5 stars :star :star :star

Review originally posted on my blog here —> Dee’s Reads

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

The Witch of Painted Sorrows was on my kindle for awhile after I got the eARC. I figured it would be on there for awhile, because although I wanted to read it I knew I wouldn't pick it up until I was in an 100% historical fiction mode. Fortunately, that came quickly and I needed a book to read that would satisfy my historical / romantic / fantasy mood.

Why this book goes onto my “guilty pleasure” shelf

So when I was in high school (about ten years ago) >.< my friend and I were listening to some pop music on the radio and looked at each other and laughed because we both really loved whatever songs was playing. My guy friend said—hey I like ____*whatever artist was playing*__ her songs are my guilty pleasure! Right then and there an important saying was born. Ever since then I refer to things that I love/like that way, even though for one reason or another society/other people may think them less than worthy of my enjoyment.

Do I care what society/other people think? 
No

…. YET… 

it’s not something that I would go shouting from the rooftops. I LIKE _____ ! Usually that is just because usually I don’t like ___ , and because it doesn’t fit into that “usual” aspect of my taste I call it a guilty pleasure.

Regarding The Witch of Painted Sorrows, this is a book I would call a BIT of a guilty pleasure. I am not guilty about liking it.
I am just a little embarrassed (with myself).

You may be puzzled by this, so let me explain a bit further.

There were parts of this book that had me rolling my eyes repeatedly, groaning and just wanting to smdh so hard i’d hit my desk. While it was one of those books that you shake your head at and grumble at so many little annoying things, yet you realize you did just spend hours reading past your bedtime.

The main thing that really kind of just…made the book feel less than genuine was the language and references. It felt like a modern woman/character telling the story. It didn’t feel like she was of the age the book was written. Most of this was due to the language. Things like “__ was the biggest artist of the day” was said over and over and I couldn’t help but think that that wasn’t the sort of thing you would say. It’s hard to pinpoint because a lot of it was just in little phrases or words, but it was everywhere in the novel. That sense of not being fully of the past, but instead of the present. That is definitely fine but it didn’t have that quality of a great piece of historical fiction where you completely slip into the past and don’t remember anything else.

You know what though? That’s okay.
 I still was up late at night reading this book in a period of time where I haven’t been doing that anymore. I have been saddened by book slump after book slump and I realize now that any book can get me out of it. Even the most unexpected one! I know that going for what you’re craving helps.. so

The Witch of Painted Sorrows is a juicy historical novel with bits of fantasy and romance, a woman with a “secret” is running from her terrifying husband all admist the lovely backdrop of Belle Epoche Paris.




author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

1 comment :

  1. Oh it's hard when the language just doesn't feel right for the time. I struggle with that sometimes with historical romance/fiction and have had similar when reading a normally historical author switched to contemporary. I'd not heard of this author. I might be tempted to give it a try at some point :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!