Sunday, January 17, 2016

How to Bookstagram 2.0

I figured I'd do another one of these posts because the first one was pretty popular and well-loved. I absolutely love Boosktagram. It's where I spend most of my hours (even more than blogging) and love how it's such a diverse community with people who are so creative and aesthetic. Today's post is getting down to the basics of taking good pictures of books. Let's begin!

1. Tell a story

The key to taking pictures of books is to actually portray its story on your screen. You are trying to convince other people to read that book so wouldn't you want to tell them a little about the story indirectly? Scattering props around the setting, I find, is a great way to do just that! It's basically taking items that can be found around your house and setting them up in a way where they don't overthrow the book but guide your eyes to the object you're using to portray the book. 

Even if that means taking silver paint and covering your hand with it to look like silver blood. JUST DO IT! 

2. Find your filter 

Finding a filter is kind of like choosing the perfect hair color that suits you best. It's by no means an easy task. It's one that takes days and probably years of trial and testing all the different kinds of filters there are in the world to see which one absolutely tickles your fancy. It took me about a year to find this filter (it's from an app called Aillis). As you can see, the first photo is the original one and the second photo below it is the finished product after it's been polished and such until I'm completely happy with the way it looks. With filters, you could turn a sad rainy day lighting into a beautifully portrayed  photo. It's really about creativity and imagination. With whatever lighting or materials you have, just think of anything that's out of the ordinary and try using it to your advantage. Don't ask other people what filters they use. Instead, try looking through the list and trial and error! 

3. Think outside the box

The picture shows a simple scene at The Strand Bookstore. Instead of posting it straight out as it would look without filters and recoloring, I took the time to pull certain colors from the picture to make it look cooler and divert your eyes to a certain area. Doesn't it seem nicer than it normally would turn out? Does it capture your attention?  Does it draw your eyes to the red (that's my intention). 

4. You don't need an expensive camera

Sure, you can get an expensive camera if you need it for personal reasons or just like taking photographs on a whim. But if you need a device for Instagram/Bookstagram, that doesn't necessarily mean you have to spend $700 or more on an expensive camera cause you're afraid the quality might not be as nice as other people's. Trust me... Majority of the Bookstagrammers I know don't use a professional camera. I use my phone (iPhone 6), and it works perfectly fine. The quality is good and I don't have to worry about the hassle of transferring photos back and forth between my camera and my phone to apply filters. I highly suggest using your phone until you're 10000000% sure you need a camera. 

5. Tag authors + publishing companies

One thing I've learned on Bookstagram is that it's cool to get noticed by the authors and publishers you're "advertising" or talking about. They love when they see their readers share their books with the world. It's just common courtesy, I feel. Everyone on Bookstagram is starting to do that regardless of if they received the book from the direct publisher/author. Just think about it. If you were an author, wouldn't you want to see photos of your books??

That's all the tips I'm sharing today. If you love these kinds of posts, I'd love to know and therefore I'll be inspired to create more :D Have fun taking photos and btw... I'm (thebooksbuzz) on Instagram. Shameless self-promo BYE <3 


author image

Alex

is a book-hoarding, binge-eating anime lover that loves to read and write on her free time. When she hasn't got her head stuck in an enthralling fantasy novel, she's outside collecting rocks or re-organizing her bookshelves for the 100th time. Alex also has nightmares of her TBR pile falling down and crushing her underneath.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!