September 17, 2015

Beware the Kitten Holy! Lumberjanes Vol. 1 [Graphic Novel Review]

Lumberjanes (Volume 1): Beware the Kitten Holy by Noelle Stevenson, Grace Ellis, Brooke A. Allen

Source: Paperback (gifted) via Amazon

My Rating: 5 of 5 stars :star :star :star :star :star

Publisher: BOOM! Box

Date of Publication: April 7th, 2015

Goodreads

FRIENDSHIP TO THE MAX!
At Miss Qiunzilla Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet's camp for hard-core lady-types, things are not what they seem. Three-eyed foxes. Secret caves. Anagrams. Luckily, Jo, April, Mal, Molly, and Ripley are five rad, butt-kicking best pals determined to have an awesome summer together... And they're not gonna let a magical quest or an array of supernatural critters get in their way! The mystery keeps getting bigger, and it all begins here.

Collects Lumberjanes No. 1-4.

My Glowing Review

One of the best things about being a book blogger is the comments we get on our posts. Little do you gorgeous readers know, those comments are like nuggets of gold. And we all know how powerful gold is. Earlier this year, I read a brilliant graphic novel called NIMONA by Noelle Stevenson and published my very glowing review here on the blog.


 One of you amazing followers told me about this graphic novel, Lumberjanes. This was the first I heard of it, and then I went to verify that it was another gem by Stevenson and yep I listened. I put it on my wishlist, tried to buy it and it was, alas, on backorder. No go from Amazon. No go from Barnes and Noble. I was sad. 

Luckily, I have the best friends ever, so one of my friends (who shall remain nameless but you know who you are)…scourged the earth and found a copy at their local Barnes & Noble (another reason why we don’t want them to close) and BOOM! I got a copy. 

Was it worth the trouble of getting this graphic novel? YES. TOTALLY.

If you read Nimona, you know what i mean when I say that Stevenson’s brand of quirky really works. It feels like the most natural thing to read and giggle and it makes me want MORE MORE MORE. 

It’s hard to exactly put my finger on WHY this is the most amazing thing to happen to graphic novel this year…but, it probably has something to do with Hipster Yetis. 
And summer camp for girls filled with every stereotypical girl-camp rule turned upside down on its head and then shot with an arrow and karate chopped down. 

A glimpse of the genius that is Lumberjanes.
There is almost every type of girl in Lumberjanes, yet it feels genuine. 
The camp counselor who is a girly girl goody two shoes, completely fits with the camp leader who wears librarian glasses, flannel, and board shorts yet exudes femininity.

It’s an amazing puzzle that actually represents womanhood. How? Because we are an amazing puzzle. Don’t try to put it together just go with it.

So, with that advice, I conclude my review. 

Go read this book. You won’t regret it. 
Then comment below with some more recommendations because I love that shit. 



author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!