June 4, 2015

Book Review: Monstrous by MarcyKate Connolly

Monstrous by MarcyKate Connolly

My Rating: 2 of 5 stars :star :star

Source: eARC via Edelweiss

Publisher: HarperCollin's Children's Books

Publication Date: February 10th, 2015


The city of Bryre suffers under the magic of an evil wizard. Because of his curse, girls sicken and disappear without a trace, and Bryre’s inhabitants live in fear. No one is allowed outside after dark.  Yet night is the only time that Kymera can enter this dangerous city, for she must not be seen by humans. Her father says they would not understand her wings, the bolts in her neck, or her spiky tail—they would kill her. They would not understand that she was created for a purpose: to rescue the girls of Bryre.   Despite her caution, a boy named Ren sees Kym and begins to leave a perfect red rose for her every evening. As they become friends, Kym learns that Ren knows about the missing girls, the wizard, and the evil magic that haunts Bryre.  And what he knows will change Kym’s life. 

My Review 

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

Monstrous was an interesting fantasy with many elements seen in other fantasies, and even felt a bit like a retelling because it was so familiar.  I do have to say it didn't read much like a middle grade book, it felt very YA and I did like that aspect a lot. The voice and narrative of the main character was incredibly strong and the pacing was excellent, even though I did take my time reading it. 

In fact, it is actually pretty hard to review it. I don't want to give much of the plot away—although it's probably my favorite part of the whole thing. I thought the plot was original with many unique twists and turns! It felt like a story we have all read before…but then…it didn't. o.O 

And for a middle grade book it was very dark, which of course I loved.


It's definitely a novel you want to take your time and enjoy. I felt like I entered a fairy tale where the main character wasn't fully human, and very much a tortured soul. Her devotion to her "father" and creator was intense and she craved love so much it made me sad to see her just try to do the right thing, but kind of bungle it all up. The journey she made was incredible, and I found myself really liking the other characters…especially the dragon.

I give so much credit to a book that can surprise me these days. Especially coming from a genre I have read so much of (middle grade fantasy). I guess with all these praises I should say why I had to give it the rating that I did, and I will try to explain who I think would like this novel (like what type of reader). 

Like I mentioned before, the pacing as very slow. I felt like the book could have just gone a lot smoother and quicker, and I think that definitely could have improved things.

I wish there was more suspense involved. I feel like there were so many surprises, which is good but building up to them sometimes can make things so much better. 


All in all, this was an entertaining fantasy about a not-quite girl who is a hero to a city plagued by an evil magician. The elements of fantasy (and there's a dragon!) will appeal to lovers of the genre but the pacing may make younger readers yawn. 



author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!