February 23, 2015

Stereotypes about Book Lovers

BOOK STEREOTYPES

People will forever and on be categorized based on their likes and their personalities. Lately I've been finding myself get more into the "Book Lovers" category! But it's actually not a title to me, it's more of a passion. Nonetheless these are just a few things people tend to think when you tell them, "Ohh I love reading books" or "I'm not going next Saturday because I need to finish this book!" I got some of these sources off of Buzzfeed, as it's the article that inspired me to write this post! 

**THIS POST IS NOT MEANT TO OFFEND ANYBODY. IT'S JUST A FUN POST WHERE I'VE GATHERED ALL THE STEREOTYPES I'VE HEARD**

1. If you like books, you have no social life 
People tend to think that if you read books, you have no social life. Okay it might be true that if I was invited to this party I would say no just to finish this awesome book I've been reading at home. It sounds kind of selfish but really it's my decision. I'm also not anti-social. I have friends (at least I think I do), I get out a lot, and I have basically all the social media apps downloaded on my phone. So what will qualify me as antisocial? 

2. If you like books, you wear glasses
Most to all readers do wear reading glasses. Let's admit that eyesight is getting pretty bad these days and I'm one to talk since I have 3 pairs of glasses and I can hardly see out of any of them. But people always come up to me asking me, "Heyy where are your glasses?" "Can I try on your glasses?" Not all book-lovers or readers wear glasses!! 

3. If you like books, you are a nerd 
People think that just because you read so many books, you are definitely a nerd!! It's because they don't read books and they consider themselves cool, well at least cooler than you. This is probably one of the worst stereotypes ever.. I remember being called a nerd when I often told people how much I liked books. It's crazy, this world. 

4. If you like books, you're obnoxiously and annoyingly opinionated about books 
NOOOOOOO NOOO Please don't think everyone that reads is obnoxiously and annoying opinionated. It kills me when people don't want to be my friend because they're afraid they might badmouth my favorite book. I personally have no mind for when that happens. I honestly let it go *starts singing* because EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN OPINION! 

5. If you like books, you've probably read all of the Harry Potter series
I love to read but because of that everyone thinks I've read the Harry Potter series. I'm sorry to say this guys (don't hate me) but I've never read the Harry Potter series before! And don't worry before you come at me with pitchforks and such, I'm going to read it this month *cheers*. But yeah for everyone's sake not everyone has read the Harry Potter series!!! 


So what am I missing out on? Any big stereotypes that you would like to share, doesn't matter if it's personal or not, just go ahead and share it in the comments. 

author image

Alex

is a book-hoarding, binge-eating anime lover that loves to read and write on her free time. When she hasn't got her head stuck in an enthralling fantasy novel, she's outside collecting rocks or re-organizing her bookshelves for the 100th time. Alex also has nightmares of her TBR pile falling down and crushing her underneath.

9 comments :

  1. Great post! I hate the nerd one. Yes, people have made that assumption about me. Also, stereotypes about people who like YA. Like if you like YA, you aren't a deep reader or you must love Twilight or countless others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah the one about Twilight! I was gonna add that one but the thing about Twilight has been dying down lately. It's still a great series though! Loved it :D

      Delete
  2. I love this post so much! Its true and I confirm, being in high school myself at the moment, that us readers get a lot of hate for being "book nerds". People also assume that when you read you enjoy all types of books and if your a girl - I don't agree with it, but most people are sexist like that - you like to read classics. People always ask me if I've read Jane Eyre or Pride & Prejudice etc. when I haven't read any of them and really have no inclination to. No offence, classics lovers, just not my thing.

    Rachel @ Rachel's Reading Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have added the one about genders!! Usually people think guys are too cool to read but there are some booklovers out there who are guys! And right, just because someone likes books, doesn't mean they've read all the classics before... likee stop assuming that people xD LOL!

      Delete
  3. I don't know that you've missed anything, but your points are right on target :D For me, they pretty much go: check, check, check and check, check... LOL Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks for reading. I'm glad this post appealed to you!

      Delete
  4. I have a few to add, actually!

    If you're a reader, you're automatically hermione granger smart. I don't like this because I know so many people who like to read but don't get the 100% on all the subjects -me being one of them.

    If you're a reader, you're ugly.
    This one upsets me so much. Like "book nerds haven't heard of makeup. they've got bad teeth and frizzy hair." While it MAY be true, I don't think it is for EVERYONE. I think it's pretty horrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of the hermione granger one but that's a very awesome comparisons lol! I mean it wouldn't hurt to be her hahaa xD? Yes I've had people say before that if you're a reader, you're ugly! It's so hurtful, I agree D:

      Delete
  5. OMG YOU'VE HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD! If you read you have no social life <-----THAT ONE. That gets me raging all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!