February 17, 2015

Book Review: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard


Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
Source: Hardback copy from Barnes and Noble
My Rating: 5/5 stars
Publication Date: February 10, 2015

The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers. 

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change. 

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possess a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control. 

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, which will win? 


So where do I start with this fantasy-filled book? Umm let me just throw out a couple of words out there! Amazing, Fantastic, Surprising, Enthralling. I was not expecting to like Red Queen as much as I do. I think I've found something other to obsess over than Throne of Glass, which you guys know is one of my favorite books to date! Right now just saying: READ THE RED QUEEN or don't bother reading any other fantasy book (ouch! That sounded kind of harsh). Ohh god it's such a perfect book I'm so glad it turned out the way I wanted it to be!!!

Yesss!!

Let's start with the biggest thing in this book: world-building. Because the synopsis of this book sets up for this promising and action-packed plot of an amazing story, we better get some awesome world building. Well Victoria Aveyard really hit it spot on with this one. Really definining the fine line between the Red and Silver-blooded people. The Reds live in the slums where they have no healers, are conscripted into war without choice, and barely have any jobs to provide their families with food and shelter. It was so heartfelt, in fact, enough to really make me pity them and feel so broken and sad inside. The Silvers with their palaces, royal buffets, and an endless amount of clothing. Not to mention that they had healers who could heal them from just about every scratch (well not death :P)

If you asked me why I would recommend this book I'd mostly say because of the ingenious plot-building. Aveyard damn well knows how to tell a story and spin you around a web until you think somethings going to happen but then it doesn't. And the characters that you least expect to die, do. I was definitely intrigued at first by the synopsis because it was rare for a girl to be red-blooded but gifted with powers and it was interesting to see how Aveyard really weaved together this brand new species.

Characters. We have a slight love triangle in the beginning but I like how the author made it very clear in the end who she was going to end up with and not leave it hanging or for argument in the second book. Her female character was so similar to Celaena Sardothien from the Throne of Glass series, in fact, they could be twins! Very strong-willed and always willing to stick her nose in the safety of the people she loves. Our male characters are handsome and charming, as always. And the villains are evil and narcissistic and just the way I like it! I swear this book is literally perfect in execution! GIVE ME THE SECOND BOOK! GIVE IT TO ME! I'm so sad that this book was just published and therefore the second book won't be coming anytime soon, will it?

Sad Yelling

If you LOVE fantasy, and I mean love and you're eager for something that you'll finish in just a couple of hours, pick up Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. An engaging tale, meaningful characters, and a cliffhanger that will leave you wanting more is on the way...

For fans of: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas , Rebel Belle by Rachael Hawkins, The Ring and the Crown by Melissa de la Cruz


author image

Alex

is a book-hoarding, binge-eating anime lover that loves to read and write on her free time. When she hasn't got her head stuck in an enthralling fantasy novel, she's outside collecting rocks or re-organizing her bookshelves for the 100th time. Alex also has nightmares of her TBR pile falling down and crushing her underneath.

15 comments :

  1. Great review!! I am so excited to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'd heard this one was good, but I didn't know just HOW good... It's at the very top of my list. Excellent review, Dee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm glad it's at the top of your list!

      Delete
  3. SHIZZLES AND SQUEALS YES YES YESYES

    THE PLOT TWIST IN THE END THOUGH. I was like WHAT JUST HAPPENED. I LOVE THIS BOOK AND I'M SO GLAD YOU DO TOO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG IKIK!! I think I'm going to blow up because of the feels :O

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to read this now. I have heard some mixed things, but for the most part people have loved this one. I hope I get to it soon :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, I'm glad you enjoyed reading this one - bit disappointed in the book though, I hope it does get better though. I loved the fantasy aspect of the novel, and the ending as well. Lovely review :) xBenish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my favorite thing about this book is all the divided opinions. People either adore it or feel a bit "meh." I was in category B, but I could still see why the fans of the book did enjoy it, and I do think it will be popular!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thanks for being so open minded and for reading the review. I hope it becomes popular :3

      Delete
  7. Awesome Review! I love fantasy too and the fact that you said this has meaningful characters and is for people that like Throne of Glass has me completely sold!

    Also, for your currently reading widget on your sidebar, what did you use to make that?

    Michelle @ <a href="http://bookbriefs.net> Book Briefs</a>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the tutorial for the widget, provided to me by Diamond the awesome owner of this blog!

      http://www.thesepaperhearts.com/2014/04/diy-currently-reading/

      I'm glad the book appeals to you :D I really am!

      Delete
  8. OH GOD YESSS THIS BOOK, THE CRAZY PLOT I LOVE IT ALL. Brilliant review, Alex x

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!