November 7, 2014

DNF Graphic Novel Review: The Last Temptation by Neil Gaiman

The Last Temptation by Neil Gaiman
Source: eARC via Netgalley | Dynamite Ent.
My Rating: None*
Published: October 21, 2014

Neil Gaiman (Sandman, Coraline, American Gods) brings shock rocker Alice Cooper's concept album to life in a surreal sideshow of the soul! Join a young boy named Steven on a surreal journey of the soul, as an enigmatic and potentially dangerous Showman seduces him into joining his carnival. Celebrate the 20th Anniversary of this seminal Gaiman work, returned to print for the first time in over a decade. Fully remastered in color, this Deluxe Edition incorporates complete scripts to all three chapters, black-and-white thumbnail art of pre-colored pages, an original outline of the project by Neil Gaiman, and a collection of letters between shock rocker Alice Cooper and the author! "I'm really happy that The Last Temptation is coming out for a new generation of readers, who have not seen Michael Zulli's glorious drawings, or know of the Showman and his wicked ways," says Neil Gaiman. "I wrote this a long time ago, driven by love of Ray Bradbury's dark carnivals and of Alice Cooper's own pandemonium shadow show. It's time for it to shuffle out onto a leaf-covered street and meet the people who don't know about Stephen and Mercy and show what's coming to town."

DNF

I just couldn't get into this. In the first portion, I was intrigued with the set up. Introduction of anniversary edition by Gaiman was better than the entire portion of the book I read (I'm guessing the rest too, but I don't know).

I'm a fan of Gaiman. Not die hard, or anything, but I like his books. I like Sandman a lot, haven't finished it yet having been introduced to the series only a year or so ago. Anyway, I was hoping for something like that. Instead, I got a great idea and set up but it didn't follow through. I feel like the graphic novel didn't execute exactly what it aimed to fast enough. See, I lost interest. And I feel I'm a pretty patient reader but with graphic novels I think you need to grab the readers imagination and attention fully, and faster than with novels because of the visual element. It ups the anty (for me, anyway).

I wouldn't recommend this for those who want a super engaging and fast moving plot of a read. Graphics are good, but not great. I've seen better from Gaiman, even Gaiman twenty years ago. I'm not a big Alice Cooper buff, but I've heard better from Cooper then too.

To sum it up for a short DNF review: ambitious but not quite realized the expectations given with an anniversary release and fantastical (braggy) introduction. I was let down.



*I was provided a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion.
** I didn't read enough of this to feel I could justifiably rate it.


author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

6 comments :

  1. I always avoid graphic novels so I have no say in this. It's a shame that the anniversary edition let you down though. Braggy introductions are always risky because you set up so much and when you let the reader down they really feel it, you know? Sorry this was such a miss, hun! Fantastic review, regardless x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?? I love graphic novels ^_^ I am pretty picky though about them. You're right, braggy introductions are definitely risky.

      Delete
  2. With this book, it's for Alice Cooper fans, not necessarily Gaiman fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense. Not that I dislike Cooper, I mean, I like his stuff. Did you read this Freda?

      Delete
  3. Great blog♥

    How about follow each other?
    I follow your blog. Waiting for you♥

    My Blog: http://juliemcqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!