Friday, September 26, 2014

Let's Discuss: Is your TBR planned or do you choose books spur of the moment?

Let's Discuss is a feature I created to dish about books and anything else that pops into my head. 

Today's discussion:

Is your TBR planned or do you choose books spur of the moment? 
If it's a little of both, which do you prefer?

Do you ever get sick of having a rigid TBR? 


Here's the thing I've been having trouble with lately..
I feel like I'm entering a reading freeze. :ice I have no desire to read any of the upcoming planned books on my TBR (upcoming buddy reads, eARCs, etc.). It's not exactly a reading slump because I do feel like reading, just not what I planned. 

It's not so bad with the review books, because I do have a desire to read them. It's more that the buddy reads or other reads I scheduled aren't appealing to me AT ALL. I get excited, schedule a buddy read or plan to read it..then the day comes, I open the book and...


I'm not sure if it's because my moods have become even more changeable, or maybe it's because I just have begun to hate having every book planned way ahead of time. :@

Where's the spontaneity? The surprise? The shock?

My favorite thing in the world is having absolutely nothing to read..(or reading a review book but deciding to start another book off my TBR). And then getting up, staring at my bookshelves or looking on my kindle / iPad and just picking a book randomly. The possibilities are endless, and I really just enjoy, at that moment, how many books I've acquired (won, bought, borrowed). 
I decide what genre I want: YA, MG, Adult? Then sub-genre: Fantasy? Romance? Sci-fi? adventure?
I love doing this because I often come across books way in the back if the shelf, dusty (and almost forgotten). It makes me smile to just discover what I have and curl up with my diet coke and my cat Sasha at my feet (she keeps em warm) and just...READ. 

It's bliss.

But I'm finding I do this less and less. When was the last time I even did this little ritual of mine? I can't even remember! I'm determined to change this. 
So I cancelled all my buddy reads, and upcoming planned books. I only have my review copies list planned, more or less, based on upcoming publish date.

My plan? Read like I used to. No plan, no rush, no lists. At least for the fun books that I don't have to review (unless I want to!) I already feel better and relieved.  :e



Who knows, maybe I'll never plan my book list again? ;)

-----

Any suggestions for me? 


-Diamond



author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

16 comments :

  1. I would say my TBR is half planned, loosely. I try to read one of my e-galleys every other book. But the other half is actual physical books, and I try mostly to pick what I'm in the mood for. Although with all the ARCs I got at BEA t his summer, those have kind of taken up my reading. Except when I'm in the mood for something else, and that almost always wins out over anything I've planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa. Your process is similar to mine. I too like to keep eARCs equal to other books, one and then the other, at a pretty even ratio, maybe frivolous books rate a tad higher overall :)

      Delete
  2. My TBR is quite planned out rigidly. I barely have any time to read books I love and I am planning to change that by getting ahead of my review copies this holidays then starting with my books that I've been wanting to read for a year.

    Great post! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on doing something for you Dee! Doesn't it just feel so liberating! Oh and snuggles with your cat and a book would just be awesome :D

    My immediate TBR for the next month or so is strictly planned. I'm going to be extremely low on time so it's all set out for me. But mostly, they're just review copies that I want to get done on time. Unfortunately, I've had to push all my personal reads into November. But for now I'm going well! But that's only because of the personal reads I have picked up recently, they've all sucked. Major. Big time. And so I kind of don't have hope in them right now :b

    Jess @ My Reading Dress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that! I'm glad things are going well with that. That sucks your personal reads have been bummer city! :\

      Delete
  4. I constantly have 3 books going, one on the e-reader, one dead tree and an audiobook. Each has its own place and time. It really helps to be able to have different genres going on and actually helps clear my mind for a new book. But I am also a self recognized mood reader and sometimes, I am just not in the mood for a particular book. So I try to have a list going and read far enough ahead that if I'm not in the mood for one thing, I can read something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith, that's really close to what Im moving towards. I used to not read any audiobooks! But since work, well I'm adding my two books at a time to three. It's been working really well so far, fingers crossed! And I love the idea of having so many books loosely planned ahead of time so that it can go with various moods :P

      Delete
  5. This is so ME! I can never plan to read a book as unless it appeals me to me right then, I'm doing it no favour reading it at the wrong time. And a lot will depend on how the last book was, sometimes I want to switch genre or sometimes I want to stick. It just depends on my mood and I while have a vague idea of the books I might read next, I need lots of options to choose from. I think half the fun is choosing anyway.

    And thanks for joining in my spreading the feel-goods! I love all gifs in this post, I have no skills at all in this area and really appreciate them on other peoples blogs. I love too that you are including more discussion lately as I always enjoy this and I think a blogger reveals a lot more of themselves in this kind of posts, including their bookish quirks which I LOVE to hear about! :O Plus I that you review MG books as I too like to read them and don't know that many other bloggers reviewing them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning more towards a less planned TbR route, especially after hearing so many successful reviewers do if and it works! I, at least wanna give myself more options to choose from.
      Aww thanks Trish! Ever since I figured out how to embed GIFS on blog posts and goodreads I've been going a bit crazy :P lol. And the increase in Disucssion posts has come about since I deleted memes from now on, and I read less so there are less reviews, I needed more quality content! ^_^ SO glad you're liking it lovie <3

      Delete
  6. Great Post! My TBR is mostly planned. I have a list of books that I have to read and some that I have been waiting forever to start. I find that it is easier to read from your TBR pile if you know nothing about the book. I do not read any other reviews about it and I go into the book with an open mind. That way, there is always some surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My review books are planned, but I always try to leave room for some spontaneous reading, mood reading, whatever. It definitely helps keep me enjoying reading!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think that's super important! I need to leave more room open for spontaneous reading! ;) thanks Jen

      Delete
  8. Great Post!

    I try to read one e-book followed by a paperback and to keep ahead of publishing schedule. At the moment this is working really really well as they are all books I am very excited about.

    But I am normally a mood reader and so pick up a book based on what it is I think I fancy at the time rather than something I planned to read. If I plan the book never seems to get read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went through this earlier this year and I ended up totally deleting my TBR list/goodreads account. Best thing I ever did! I did a four part series on my blog about the changes I made-here's the link to the first one :) http://finleyjayne.com/big-changes-are-here-im-totally-revamping-my-reading-system-part-one/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always read several books at the same time. One of them is always an review copy, the other is always a book I picked based on my mood. It's a great feeling to be able to switch back and forth :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!