February 19, 2013

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert

Madame BovaryMadame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I started this book a year ago. I read it with some friends. One finished it, the other didnt. I wanted to like this book, I really did. I love literature, and it seemed like a great story. I had lots of qualms with this book. First of all, it's ok if the protagonist is villian-like, or we despise her because of her personality-- but she has to be lovable too. In some way, there needs to be redeeming elements that either make us forgive or understand her. This isn't the case for me with Emma. Her snobbery is forgivable, heck-- most of her defects are forgivable...but her role as a mother and her lack of care or mention of her daughter hurt me the most. Her husband works so hard, for her! He Loves her so much, and her response is lukewarm at best. I'm not sure if I read a "spoiler" of the end or what...but when I did I just felt so dejected I couldn't bear finishing it. Of the hundreds of books I've read, I've only left unfinished and given up on...a few. This is one of those. I was halfway through and kept it close to try to convince myself to finish and couldn't.

View all my reviews
author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!